THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Time To Order Eggs & Chicks For Next Season Already

We still have a few thousand birds in our fly pens yet to be delivered. We will be selling them for all the orders we have for birds mostly in Jan. & Feb.  Many of the other game bird growers are already out and my phone rings almost daily for folks needing birds now. I hate that I have to tell them all the birds we have left are called for. I try to get them to order early next year for delivery now. Many said they will. My supplier is ready to take booking orders on eggs and chicks.  My buddy Larry is building a large brooder barn and pens so hopefully we will have at least 5000 more birds next season. I keep saying I am not going to get bigger but the demand due to growers retiring is causing a huge shortage at least in the midwest states.  Made a futures deal with my feed supplier for 20 ton of feed. Feed costs are low now so I am thinking I can keep my bird prices the same for 3 years now. Really learned a lot more this season so it keeps getting easier and bird loses have dropped. Have been getting a great reputation as having quail that fly great. The preserves that use us also get that good reputation and that increases their business. It's going very good.

No comments: