THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Monday, August 8, 2011

Setting Eggs

We are filling our incubators with eggs tomorrow.  I've decided to make this our last hatch this season.  Those birds will be full grown by January.  It's just hard to raise them when they are young and it's cold.  We just lost too many last season to take the chance. I know I will need more birds but I am happy at the level I am. Been raining off and on for a couple of days with a chance for more the next few days.  Seems like the gardens are burnt out even watering them as much as we did it was just too hot for a great garden season.  We harvested a lot and our son has been canning.  Tomatoes are very tasty and cucs are making great bread and butter pickles. The attitudes at my coffee stop are not improving. The old farmers have a lot of hay but many are selling their extra to the farmers in Kansas who are hurting.  They are getting $120.00 a bale.  It is $35 here.  Fuel delivery costs make up a lot of that increase.

No comments: