THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Friday, August 26, 2011

Lots of Birds in Fly Pens = Lots of Feed

We have thousands of birds running around the fly pens and they sure eat a lot. We are feeding over 25 bags per week and the local feed store really likes us.  We changed to a different feed store late last season.  We gave them a heads-up on making sure they do not run out of game bird feed for us. Since we are their only game bird feed account I was concerned they might not buy tons of feed for us, but they have really done good. I had projected feed costs being about $27.00 per 100# during this time of year, but surprisingly it is only $24.50/100#.  So profits should be better. Even though we have had extreme heat, we have hardly lost any birds at all. Those we do lose we donate to the Conservation department for taxidermy lessons for kids. We really watch their waterers and have provided lots of cover and even sprayed water on them every couple of days.  Really starting to get orders and inquiries daily. Some of my customers are increasing their orders due to more early bookings. We're about to the point of being booked up. 

No comments: