THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

GOOD THIRD HATCH

We had a 86% hatch rate for our third hatch.  With the extreme 100+  degree hot days for what seems to be everyday we were really surprised and happy about that.   Our incubating room is not climate controlled.  Incubators are heaters for bring up to and maintaining them @ 99.5 degrees.  The problem is they are not cooling units.  So when the room got over 100 the incubator temps surged to 102 for a short time.  We had fans running on them but that wasn't enough for all day.  I figured it would really cause a lot of malformed or dead inside the eggs.  We had a few born a little early and some not quite right, but have lost very few chicks. I spoke with some other growers that have seen a lot of loses in the fly pens due the heat.  We have lost only 6 birds.  We made a lot of covers and it has really paid of.  I also called my egg supplier this morning. His layers are just not producing.  He is really hoping for cooler weather soon.  His temps in Kansas was 112 degrees Monday. But I will be getting almost all of the eggs I ordered next tuesday.  My phone is ringing a lot this week from dog trainers wanting to book birds. Just checked my outside barn thermometer, it says 104.  I'm too old too fight it outside in this heat.

No comments: