THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Birds Are About Ready to Sell

We will have a few thousand bobwhite quail fully mature and ready to go the first week of September. We will catch them if the temps are not over 80 degrees.  Last year we transported some in 90+ weather and lost over half of them due to heat stress.  We have many dog trainers that are really ready to pick some up.  Still getting a lot of calls for small amounts (<100>)of birds.  We really enjoy those sales since I get to usually spend some sportsman time with them when they pickup.  One of the bad things about life after my stroke is I spend a lot of time here at the farm by myself and sometimes I get lonely. It's a far cry from when I owned my sporting goods store and saw hundreds a day.  So the opportunity to meet new folks and view their culture is refreshing.  If you read this blog, I would welcome an email from you. I received one a few weeks ago from a guy in Alabama whose father also survived a stroke but was giving up on life. He said his dad followed my doings and now wants to try something on his farm.  That really makes me glad that I possibly might help someone through fighting my adversity. Even though these handicaps and issues can be a burden most of the time, there is so many other parts of my life that I have found that I am a much better person for this. 

No comments: