THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Monday, June 20, 2011

Our 2nd Hatch was Very Good!

We just finished moving quail chicks from the hatch room to a brooder barn.  Out of 3,000 eggs we set there is now 2675 chicks.  That is a very good hatch rate for us.  It is such a hot spring the brooder heat system is not being used as much so our energy costs are lower.  We are so far enjoying a lower than normal loss rate on our first hatch in Brooder Barn #1.  But as I have proven before, that can change in an instant. I have my costs based on a percent of hatched to sold so any less loss helps the bottom line. I have been enjoying trying to live a simpler. less stress life.  I am now remembering life back in the 50's.  I found my old little hand held radio and now go out on my front porch with a big mason jar of iced tea and listen to my 'Cardinals' play baseball.  For those reading this blog and have those memories you'll know how great I feel being able to relax and watch the world go by in the country.  I am going to find some 'Green Hornet', The Shadow, etc. old radio shows I listened to in my youth and re-enjoy them, too.

No comments: