THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Monday, May 23, 2011

Our Joplin Neighbors Got Hit Hard

Last evening a huge tornado hit Joplin, Mo.  Our farm is between Joplin & Springfield.  I have some good friends from my career in the outdoor sports business that live and have stores there.  Trying to contact them.  When it seemed like the storm was going to hit us, too, we just grabbed the dogs and headed east. The storm took a right turn and went south so we stopped to eat and wait it out. It is storming again right now. It's been a week since our first hatch and we have only lost 16 chicks out of 2500.  I am very pleased.  We have watched the brooder temps closely since the weather has been so sporatic. With spring rains being so intense we decided to put down a large tarp on the brooder barn floor before we spread pine chips.  Any water running on the barn floor, which is very little considering the fields have flooded, has gone under the chips and kept the birds warm and dry. Baby quail are so sensitive to a number of issues and without some experience and fore thought you will lose hundreds. We are picking up our next big batch of eggs friday, so the cycle continues.

No comments: