THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Farm Life is Always an Adventure

This weekend we had a good spring time on the farm.  On saturday our son Shaun came out to see his mom for Mothers Day. He brought her 2 trays (100 plants) of flower starts. He adores his mom. While he was here he spent a lot of time on the garden. We are very grateful for his help, he has a big garden on his families farm, too. I went in for a rest and he came in for a drink. When he went back out he came running back in to tell me his bee hive was swarming.  I jumped on the tractor and headed out there. There was tens of thousands of bees in about a ten yard area.  After a few minutes maybe half or more swarmed on a tree nearby and the rest went back into the hive.  I have seen many swarms on trees, but I have never seen them in the process. He wanted to catch this swarm and put it into another hive box, but by the time he got it ready they were gone, so he lost half or more of the hive. Hopefully we will still get some honey from the bees left.  While we were watching this my friend Pigeon Pat showed up. He raises those wonderful white homing pigeons and has 100 or more birds. He does pigeon releases at weddings, funerals, etc. I was down to only 4 birds left so he was nice enough to bring me 6 more young ones to raise. I hate to admit it, but living in the country with lots of hawks I lose more than I would like. He stayed and chatted for a while. I really enjoy his visits. You can see his website at;  PigeonPat.com

No comments: