THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Time is Great on the Farm

  


With the temps in the 60's to 80's and warmer nights I think spring has sprung.  We really enjoy being country folk when everything starts to come to life.  My day usually starts going out on our front porch with a cup of coffee and some breakfast.  Debbie joins me and being English she has her morning 'spot a tea'.  Our redbud, dogwood & russian olive trees are leaved out, but the oaks and hickories are just coming to buds. Our country grass is just spotty green, but it will be full soon. We have an almost 2 acre yard and it looks like a park when everything is green. As the sun comes over the woods behind us the animals come to life.  Being that we live in the middle of the woods there is wildlife galore. The birds this time of year are eating, hunting mates and nesting all day. Their songs and flying around can keep us in awe for hours. We seem to have dozens of cardinals chasing each other through the trees. We have 5 bluebird houses and everyone has a nest in it.  We try to feed them mealworms, but with so many of them it really gets expensive. I bet this morning there was 50 finches fighting for food on our feeders. The goldfinches have all but lost their winter yellow colors. Robins are all over the yard, prancing and singing for a mate and looking for worms and bugs. The crows are really noisey and a little annoying, but they are doing their thing, too. The bees are everywhere. We are hoping for a lot of honey this summer.


My favorite this time of year is the Mockingbird. Our yard has a few tall persimmon trees along the outer perimeter and these birds will find the tall trees and just sit there and sing all kinds of different songs for a long time.  This doesn't last very many days then they are mated and nesting, but it is so cool.  The hummingbirds are just arriving. We have 4 feeders out and will add a couple more as they gather. I think we usually have about 50 -75 hummers all summer. The orioles, grosbeaks and many other migraters always give us a visit. That will happen anytime now. Debbie loves her flowers and has thousands.  The phlox and many others are making it known it is spring. My favorite is the hosta.  We have them scattered all over and they really brighten our place up.  I raise a few Bonsai trees, too. They are beautiful tiny trees and I enjoy trimming them. This weekend we are going to work on our fly pens.  Fix any holes, clean around the electric fence and start tilling inside to plant crops for the quail. Over the winter Debbie made three family quilts. One for our son and  his wife, one for our new grand daughter and one for me. Debbie is very talented and we all are greatful. Real soon know it will be very busy, but I am going to take time everyday to enjoy my retired rural life.







No comments: