THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Loving the Feel of Spring!!

We are in a stretch of nice winter weather. Going to be in 60's for the week or so forecast.  About all the snow is gone and the wildlife is sensing spring in the Ozarks.  The bluebirds are going in the nest boxes. Seeing robins in good numbers in the fields. What quail we have left are mature and we really aren't doing anything except keeping the big feeders full and water thawed. We are going to start cleaning out the brooder barns soon and getting the incubators cleaned and tested. It's still a couple of months until we get started again, but getting out in the warm weather really makes us desiring spring on the farm. We have planned this years garden area and are going to expand the blueberry, rasberry and strawberry areas. We are going to plant a few apple & peach trees and more grapes. It looks like our bee hives are going to make it through just fine. I don't want to think the worse but with the weekly grocery prices rising and about everything else I want to grow all of our food if we can.  Deb will can, freeze and dehydrate a lot for use later. Plus it seems everyday they report some food preservative is killing us. I grew up living a simple, self sustaining life and right now that sounds good to me again. 

No comments: