THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Let's Eat Some Quail While We Are Snowbound!

With 15" of snow covering everything and I have pretty much gotten all my bookwork and plans for next season up to date I decided to sweep off our Big Green Egg smoker/griller and cook some quail and pheasants. I have a lot of birds in the freezer so after a thaw and adding the coals to the Egg it is now in progress. Can't wait to enjoy shortly. Below is the recipes I used for both. Please feel free to comment on these and share your own.


ROASTED PHEASANT

    * pheasant, quartered
    * 2 carrots, sliced
    * 5 baby red potatoes, quartered
    * 1/2 onion, cut into chunks
    * salt and pepper
    * 2 pinches thyme
    * 1/4 cup chicken broth
   

                                                                                


Add the carrots, potatoes and onion. Sprinkle on the thyme and season to taste wtih salt and pepper.
Add the chicken broth in pan. Place covered in roasting pan and cook in the oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 40 minutes or until meat feels tender.

Quail with Mushrooms



Wipe carefully, inside and out. Then bind each bird with a slice of bacon. Put birds into a buttered pan and baste occasionally while they are roasting. If they are large birds, they will require about 1/2 hour to cook. when they are done, put them into a warmer for 2 minutes while you add 1 tbsp. of butter, a little hot water, and the juice of 1/2 lemon to the fat in the pan, stirring to make gravy. Serve the birds on toast with gravy poured over them; garnish with a wedge of lemon or currant or grape jelly. On the same plate, serve mushrooms as follows:  
Mushrooms
Peel fresh mushrooms and cut the stems free. Put them in a dish with enough melted butter to make them all thoroughly shiney. Add salt and pepper rather generously. Let sit 1 hour and then broil on a grill in time to serve hot with quail.

1 comment:

AZWanderings said...

That sounds fantastic. I have a good little freezer full that I may have to try this recipe out on. Thanks for sharing Rick.

Ben