THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Friday, January 21, 2011

Snowy Quail Day

Snow came through the area yesterday. We got spared the large amount and just got a little over 2".  Every time there is winter weather I worry about the pens collapsing and birds dying.  Went out to check a small pen and some of the birds were huddled up keeping warm.  They are hardy critters once they get fully grown. Still getting calls daily for birds. Many from out of state and most from preserves and field trialers we haven't sold to before. There suppliers are out, too.  I have started to send out next falls price lists and I am making a push for these guys to order birds now for delivery next season. Some are doing that and I think more will pre-book since they are going to be out of birds with a couple of months left in this years season. It sure makes it easier to estimate sales and guarantee them winter birds.  I have to charge them .25 per bird more for feed costs for longer holding times. They understand!!

No comments: