THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Milder Weather Makes it Easier


With the milder day and night temps it is so much easier to take care of the birds.  Haven't has any quail die in a while. I was getting bummed out as the younger chicks just couldn't handle the single digit temps even under heat lamps in the barn.  I had to tell 2 field trial customers we aren't able to furnish birds for their Feb. trial. I know they didn't like that but I had to take care of my long term customers with the limited bird available. I called around to other gamebird farmers I know and they are out of birds completely.  We all wish the folks that need birds would pre-order them earlier so we could plan better. I have a lot more do that every year, they now know they won't get birds if they wait too late. There is a limited production of birds and getting worse as the farmers get older and retire. Our heated waterers are working good.  We have decided to get rid of our pigeons and chickens. We seem to have way too much to properly take care of. Just quail, our 2 dogs and 1 old cat will do for now.

No comments: