THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Very Busy

Things are going very good. I have about 5,000 quail still in brooder barns. We will release 2000+ into 2 of our fly pens this coming friday. The eggs in incubator will hatch July 19/20, that will make us about 7,500 quail so far. Our son finished the new fly pens and they look great. Trying to talk him into building 4 more this fall. He has a new job and a baby coming so I will just hire someone else.  Our newest brooder barn has 700 pheasants that are 3 weeks old. Just ordered 1,000 blinders for them. Putting them on is a lot of work and with my disabilities I'm not much help. We are still getting lots of inquiries for both quail & pheasants. The field trial people are ordering 200-400 each. I like the pheasants but they take up so much fly pen space I can't make as much profit for the room I have as I can the quail. Have some restaurants waiting to buy them this fall. We are now getting our eggs out of Kansas. Hopefully they will give us a good hatch like the Texas eggs do (about 85%). We have started buying feed at our MFA by the ton. That saves 15% and they are very kind to this old crippled guy. I miss my old career, but really enjoying this gamebird raising and the people I meet.  Hopefully I can make enough to cover my big initial outlay of $$.

No comments: