THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Orders and Brooders

Last weekend I got fall booking orders for 7,000 bobwhite quail @ $3.75 each. This pretty much takes all my 2010 production plans and I haven't even hatched yet. Too early. I am rethinking about raising more. Might have to build 3 or 4 more flypens and another barn. Will have to really think about that - a lot more work for a retired guy. I did receive 4 more GQF brooders. They brood 125 quail for 4 weeks with very little loss, I love them, will end up with 20 of these before the season starts. Figured my feed costs from last year. With gamebird feed costing me around $19.00 per 100#, It looks like a quail from birth to 16 weeks costs me .88 cents for feed each. With egg cost I will have about $1.13 in a bird not counting fixed costs(utilities, insurance, marketing, some labor help, etc). Tired of cold and snow, I'm ready to start farming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Rick. I'm very proud of your achievement, being a stroke victim in these times.
I wish my Dad had the same attitude like you have.
I'm just getting interested in quail farming myself (very small scale) just for hobby as I work as a full time Eng'r. Wish you all the luck in the world with your new bride and endeavor.

Ralph
SF, CA
rmn4@pge.com