THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Next Step


It is now June. If afraid after 3 decades of being a retail businessman the desire to sell and see a business grow is still very strong. The doctor said I had to keep both physically and mentally active. I wasn't doing it for the money this time, more as a rewarding hobby, so the stress was not there like before. The doctors tell me to be less stressful, right! So I decided on the budget I would use to expand and since I am physically screwed somewhat I had to ask my wife for her help. Of course, she jumped in there with me. It is fun for her dealing with all the babies. Now the poop is another story, but that worked itself out.
So I had a 15 x 30 brooder barn built and some 12 foot rows of open top cages that a handicapped guy could lean over to feed and water. They worked great. I knew I didn't have enough egg layers to supply me with fresh hatching eggs, but I enjoyed taking care of the breeders and gathering eggs so I kept them and sold the eggs. I decided to spend the money and get a cabinet incubator, so I bought the GQF 1500 series Professional cabinet model that incubates over 1200 quail eggs at a time.
I was ready to go so I bought 1200 eggs from a huge gamebird farm in Texas. He shipped them securely, I set them in the cabinet incubator, set the heat and turning controls, filled the humidity bucket and was off and waiting for 20 days to go by.

No comments: