THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Thursday, December 31, 2009

It's Time For the Birds to Go To Work

The 16 weeks it takes to grow the quail to full maturity is now over, it is late October. I decided to do a little more marketing. I listed the birds on Craigslist and had about 30 inquiries. Again, most didn't have any permits so I helped them get that process underway. I told them I am sure I would be out of birds. I also lost maybe a half dozen birds in the flypens from whatever happened.(they will fight)I decided to see if there was a market for dead birds. There is! I found a large taxidermist that bought every dead bird I had, as long as its feathers were intact. Helps a little with feed costs instead of throwing them out. I decided to contact the states department of agriculture and have them come out to certify my farm as NPIP. This was an interesting testing blood process and the agent was great. I passed so we are a certified NPIP - AI quail farm now. We built a website and had a couple hunting preserves contact us with an offer to buy all the quail. It was at a reduced price from what I was asking so I said if I had any left they could have them. I might look at preselling a couple thousand next year at a cheaper price to preserves just to have a guarantee sell of at least some, we'll see later.
So its time to let the hunters have their birds. We had 200 birds go out at 13 weeks old they really needed them and they flew really hard. I had approx 1,000 birds in the pen to start with and had 800 pre sold without really trying very hard to sell. I called the guys and they all came out and helped me cage them and left very happy.

No comments: