THE SIMPLE LIFE ON OUR OZARKS QUAIL FARM

My photo
MISSOURI OZARKS, United States
After I retired I wanted to stay busy on our farm. My almost 30 year career was in the hunting & fishing industry, so raising the birds I had hunted for years was a natural for me. Being married to my best friend, wife & help mate is all I could ask for. My wife of 34 years and I love living on our farm and doing the chores it takes to maintain it. We are living a wonderful slow life in our retirement. Our grand daughter is such joy. Having a big garden to feed us, raising bees for honey, loving our pets and no debt. I feel blessed to have enjoyed this country living and sustaining our family through growing our food and simple ways my whole life. I am happy to see others across this great country deciding to live instead of just collecting more. A less-stress farm life is making us very happy. *******************************************************

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

FlyPen & Selling


It's mid September and the birds have been in the flypen for a couple weeks. I am well pleased at their progress. I had only had 4 birds die in there. They are eating alot, my feed bill is high, but what I expected. Just a part of doing business. While the birds are maturing I have been marketing them. After 25 years in the hunting & fishing industry I have a huge network of potential quail customers. I have an email list of just over 10,000. Knowing I could overwhelm myself with orders I elected to just send out 1,000 emails asking if anyone was interested in either live birds or meat birds. The return was indeed great. Many of my old customers just wanted to wish me good health and tell me they missed me. (I spent 2 hours reading these with tears in my eyes as I remembered the past and how much I truly loved my career that was cut short). I booked about 500 live bird sales from these guys just for working their dogs and could have sold all the 1,000 birds I had, but most people didn't realize they had to get a special permit to have live bobwhite quail in their possesion. I told the rest of the inquiries how to get the permit knowing that if just a small percentage of them got it I could not supply them with enough birds. I also sold about 100 of the quail as processed meat for those that remembered feasting on them in their youth and missed that table fare. (there is a lot of potential business in processed birds around the Ozarks).
I am selling the birds at a minimum of 16 weeks old when they are fully grown. This would be late October.

No comments: